Become a Mentee
Many of the world’s most successful people have benefited from having a mentor. For a child with one or both parents incarcerated, the commitment and support of a mentor is beyond measure.
Why have a mentor?
- Gain another role model in your life
- Have fun and learn something new!
- Research shows that mentoring works:
- Challenging young people to excel academically and in extracurricular activities that promote healthy social interaction, team-building, collaboration and problem solving.
- Be a role model for a child impacted by parental incarceration and help break the generational cycle of incarceration; give back to the community and empower children to reach their full potential; have fun and learn something new!
- Helping young people improve their relationships with others.
- Working alongside caregivers to reinforce a stable environment grounded in values and a belief in family.
- Exposing young people to educational and cultural events and opportunities.
- Age 6-18
- Live in Allegheny County
- Have an incarcerated parent or family member (current or former incarciration)
- Be willing to commit to a one-year minimum mentoring relationship with a mentor of four hours per month minimum
- Be willing to complete the screening process; communicate regularly with Amachi staff; and abide by all Amachi policies and procedures
Home visit & paperwork (with Amachi staff)